Happy New Year!
I see many fellow bloggers already busy cooking and baking and some even started making cookies for the coming Chinese New Year. What have I been doing after the festive season? Nothing! The after-effects of the Christmas and New Year festivities made me feel so lazy to do anything; I think I need to recharge my internal battery for 2014.
Last year I have a bumper crops of Meyer lemons from one single lemon tree, so I have a lot of frozen lemon juice cubes sitting in my freezer. After seeing AnnCoo's Grapefruit Sponge Cupcakes, I decided to make lemon sponge cupcakes instead. The cakes turned out very light and taste good too, although they looked a little pale. Another 5 more minutes of baking would be perfect?
(Makes 6 big cupcakes)
25g Rice Bran oil
40g freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
3 large cold eggs (straight from fridge)
80g caster sugar
100g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
zest from 1 orange
- Preheat oven at 170 deg and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a cup, mix rice bran oil and lemon juice together and set aside.
- Sift flour and salt together, set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, whisk cold eggs and sugar together at high speed for 3 minutes, until thick and fluffy. Then reduce to medium speed and whisk for 10 minutes. Continue to whisk for another 1 minute at low speed.
- Add in orange zest. While continuing to whisk at low speed, gradually add in flour, followed by oil and lemon juice mixture. Do not over mix. Use a spatula to fold the batter until well combined.
- Spoon batter into paper liners until 90% full. Tap the muffin pan on kitchen bench to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until light brown.