Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Meyer Lemon Sponge Cupcakes


Lemon Sponge Cupcakes

Lemon Sponge Cupcakes

Happy New Year! 

I see many fellow bloggers already busy cooking and baking and some even started making cookies for the coming Chinese New Year.  What have I been doing after the festive season?  Nothing!  The after-effects of the Christmas and New Year festivities made me feel so lazy to do anything;  I think I need to recharge my internal battery for 2014. 

Last year I have a bumper crops of Meyer lemons from one single lemon tree, so I have a lot of  frozen lemon juice cubes sitting in my freezer.  After seeing AnnCoo's Grapefruit Sponge Cupcakes, I decided to make lemon sponge cupcakes instead.  The cakes turned out very light and taste good too, although  they looked a little pale.  Another 5 more minutes of baking would be perfect?  

Meyer Lemon Tree

Adapted from Ann's Grapefruit Sponge Cupcakes



(Makes 6 big cupcakes)

Ingredients:
25g Rice Bran oil
40g freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
3 large cold eggs (straight from fridge)
80g caster sugar
100g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
zest from 1 orange

  • Preheat oven at 170 deg and line muffin pan with paper liners.
  • In a cup, mix rice bran oil and lemon juice together and set aside.
  • Sift flour and salt together, set aside.
  • Using a stand mixer, whisk cold eggs and sugar together at high speed for 3 minutes, until thick and fluffy.  Then reduce to medium speed and whisk for 10 minutes.  Continue to whisk for another 1 minute at low speed.
  • Add in orange zest.  While continuing to whisk at low speed, gradually add in flour, followed by oil and lemon juice mixture.  Do not over mix.  Use a spatula to fold the batter until well combined.
  • Spoon batter into paper liners until 90% full.  Tap the muffin pan on kitchen bench to remove air bubbles.
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until light brown.

7 comments:

  1. Wow you have a lemon tree in your house? That's so awesome! The cake looks so light and fluffy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost every house here will have at least one lemon tree. So convenient!

      Delete
  2. Hello Veronica
    I guess I can say Im getting more lazier than you. Have not update any post lately after I came back from holiday. Luckily CNY coming and soon I will gear up again. Your lemon upcake look so soft...must be very citrus aroma. Wish I can have some lemon from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, looking forward to see your CNY goodies soon.

      Delete
  3. what a versatile cupcake... like this recipe with the zesty lemon and tangy orange...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too! Wow, what a bountiful harvest! I don't even know where to find one over here in KL :) Those little sponge cakes must taste really good with homegrown juice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my very favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I always love reading your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...