Adapted from She Simmers' Nam Prik Pao Recipe (น้ำพริกเผา) – Thai Chilli Jam
160g fresh cayenne chillies
130g garlic, sliced
200g shallots, sliced
60g toasted shrimp paste (belacan)
125g pure coconut sugar/palm sugar, grated
80g dried shrimps, washed and drained
4 tbsp tamarind paste
4 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 cup water
200ml cooking oil
- In a dry wok over low-heat, toast chillies until lightly charred. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok over medium-high heat and fry the sliced shallots, garlic and dried shrimps separately until light brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- Grind the dried shrimps in a grinder until very fine. Set aside.
- Using a food processor or a pestle & mortar, process the chillies, garlic, shallots, toasted shrimp paste and water until a thick paste is formed.
- Heat oil in a wok and add in the paste, dried shrimps, tamarind paste, fish sauce and sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally; for about 15 minutes or until you achieved the consistency you desired.
- Store your chilli paste in clean, dry glass jars. They will keep for months in the refrigerator.