I am sure this soup is quite common in many Chinese households. This is one of our family's favourite soup which is easy to make. Most of the time we don't really need a recipe for soup; just put in your favourite ingredients and some meat or bones, and viola, you'll have a bowl of tasty soup! I usually cook my soup for at least 2-3 hours because the longer you cooked it, the more flavoursome the soup becomes. If you have leftover soup, keep it in the refrigerator. It tastes even better the next day as the flavour continues to develop.1 medium sized radish (Chinese daikon) about 500g
1 carrot (about 300g)
1 kg pork bones (or chicken)
4 dried scallops, washed
10 red dates, washed
a thumb-sized ginger, smashed
1/2 tbsp white peppercorns, washed and crushed
about 4 litre water
salt, to taste
- Peel radish and carrot; cut into chunks.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil; put in pork bones and blanched for about 5 minutes (to remove the impurities). Drain and discard water. Wash the bones and set aside.
- Fill the pot with 4 litre of water and bring to the boil.
- Add in all the ingredients except salt. Bring back the water to a rapid boil and cook for 10 minutes over high heat. Then reduce to low heat and let it simmer for about 3 hours.
- Season with salt and serve hot.